Saturday, September 26, 2009


(A report from
After her freedom from 19 months house arrest on May 6, 2002 Daw Aung San Suu Kyi began her organization trips outside of Rangoon. Her release from house arrest was unconditional and as approved by the SPDC she could freely travel throughout the country. Her first Rangoon precinct trip was to Shwe Pyi Thayar Township NLD head office on 17-5-2002 followed by trips to Daw-bon township NLD head office on 22-5-2002, on 24-5-2002, Kamayut Township NLD head-office, on 13-6-2002, as her fifth trip in Rangoon precinct, she visited Thakayta NLD head office.

Throughout the trip mentioned, she received overwhelming support from the people. She later made her upper Burma trips from 20-6-2002 to 29-6-2002 visiting (16) township in Mandalay and Magwe Divisions continued by trips to Mon and Karen States visiting 12 Townships from (14-10-2002 to 17-10-2002). She then visited 14 townships in Pegu Division from (13-11-2002 to 27-12-2002), 17 Townships in Shan States from (16-12-2002 to 24-12-2002), and 15 Townships in Arakan States, Magwe Division and Irrawaddy Division from (3-4-2003 to 13-4-2003).Daw Aung San Suu Kyi had experienced harassment from SPDC since 1996. The USDA had interrupted Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and caused her trouble throughout her journey in many ways.

Such plot against Daw Aung San Su Kyi had since been arranged in 1996 and was revealed by the SLORC/ SPDC Minister of Railways Transport Ministry and secretary of the USDA U Win Sein. On 1-11-96 at 14:00 hrs, in the compound of the Le Pyin village primary school which is about 1 mile away from Inndaw Township of Sagaing Division, the entire village USDA members' proposals submitting ceremony was held. U Win Sein who participated in the ceremony, delivered a speech to the attending villagers making strong personal attack on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. Furthermore he stated that the creator of the internal political disturbances, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, must be eradicated. "Do you understand what is meant by Eradicated"? "Eradicated means to kill", and added, "Dare you kill Daw Suu Kyi?". He repeated this 5 or 6 times, but no one answered him. In addressing the people by microphone and raising the question dare you kill Daw Suu Kyi was heard not only by those attending the ceremony but also villagers in the village and by monks in the monastery. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was injured when she was brought by force back to Rangoon from above roadside. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s car was put off the road by the authority during her trip to Irrawaddy Division in August 1998. Regarding this matter, NLD chairman U Aung Shwe informed Senior General Than Shwe by letter with letter No: 179/Cee (Nyein)/96 of 20.12.96.

Therefore it is obvious that since 1996 responsible personnel of USDA have been instigating the assassination of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and making verbal personal attacks on the General Secretary of the National Language for Democracy. The Depayin incident is indeed a practical move to bring about their intention. On 9.11.96, Saturday afternoon at about (15:35) hrs, leader of the NLD U Tin Oo, U Kyi Maung and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi left the entrance gate of Kanbawza manor and slowly headed southwards in 3 motor vehicles. Just about (15) feet from the entrance gate, at a bus stand, on the road, and on either side of the road was a group of people estimated to be round about (200). They had with them rocks, iron chains, iron rods that can kill people and attacked the motorcade in the manner of following instruction from someone else. In the presence of the security members and in broad daylight, the attack was carried out like a country in anarchy.

Due to the attack, the back windshield of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's car was cracked and the car of U Tin Oo and U Kyi Maung, the glasses on both sides of the back doors and the back windshield were totally damaged. The second attack had taken place at the intersection of the University avenue road and Than Lwin Road. The time was about (16:45) hrs. At that place were an army major, a police inspector and 10 motor vehicle police blocking the University Avenue road. The NLD cars in turning towards the Than Lwin Road, two men from near the officers rushed out throwing stones at the leader's cars moved close to the cars and stabbed with daggers. As the cars were moving no one was hurt, but it was a formidable plot. The attackers after committing a brutal and barbarous attack calmly went back towards the security officers. On 20-7-98, about (9:10)hrs, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and Central Executive Committee member and Chairman of the Irrawaddy Division organization Committee U Hla Pe set out on a trip by motor vehicles to Pantanaw Township, Irrawaddy Division to encourage and console the family of MP Dr. Tin Min Htut who was under detention. On the way at telegraph post No (106) of Rangoon-Bassein highway near Pandaing village her journey was disrupted by the authorities. At about (11:40) hrs on resuming her journey, she was again stopped at a place about 4 miles from where she was first halted near Anyarsu and Pandaing villages.

Round Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s car was damaged in (9-11-96) attack by SPDC’s thugs in Rangoon. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s motorcade was blocked by SPDC during her trip to Dala township in August 2000. about (14:10) hrs, the authorities brought Dr. Tin Min Htut to meet with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. With the consent of the authorities Dr,Tin Min Htut was taken back to Rangoon by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. On 24-7-98 at about (09:05) hrs Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, CEC U Hla Pe and party travelled to Bassein by motor vehicles to give moral support to the families of MPs who were detained under the 1961 Restriction of Movement and Probation of Habitual Act. They were halted at the thoroughfare near Pandaing and Anyarsu villages.

On 29-7-98 about (21:50) hrs at the place where they were stopped, security members of the authorities by using force mauled her into her car against her will and took her back to her home. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's car was driven back by a member of the authorities without her permission. The remaining CEC member and 2 NLD staff were treated the same way as Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and were taken back. Again on 12-8-98 Daw Aung San Suu Kyi with U Hla Pe, Central Exeutive Committee member and the chairman of the Irrawaddy Division Organization Committee, traveled by car peacefully on the public road to Bassein. On nearing Anyarsu-Pandaing villages of Htantabin Township, they were stopped on the way. After (13) days her health deteriorated, the CEC and other NLD members became anxious and on 24-8-98 took her back and arrived in Rangoon about (15:20) hrs.

On 24-8-2000 while Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and party were on their way to Dala Township in two motor vehicles, they were stopped by a group of policeman on the way. After detaining them for 9 days they were forcibly made to return by the authorities, on 1-9-2000. Within a matter of an hour, the NLD Headquarters was raided by the authorities. On 21.9.2000, while Daw Aung San Suu kyi, and her colleagues were preparing to depart for Mandalay, they were halted by the authorities at the Rangoon Railway Station. After which she was put under house arrest until 6 May, 2002.

In 2002 of May 6th, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was released from house arrest and the SPDC declared that a new chapter had been opened in the history of Burma and every citizen could take part in political activities. And that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi had passed the period of confidence building between the NLD and the SPDC. After receiving her freedom from house arrest and in her travels throughout the country, the support she received from the people was gaining momentum and in the same manner her harassments from the USDA was also rising. From 6.5.03 Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her entourage were on an organizational tour by motor vehicles according to scheldule, from Rangoon to Mandalay. And then to Shwe Bo, Khin U, Kaw Lin, Wun Tho, Indaw, Katha, Mohnyin, Mogaung, Pa Kan, Tanaing, Namti, Myitkyina, Waingmaw, Bamaw, Shwe Gu, Momeik, Mogok, Thabeikkyin, Singu, Madaya, Mandalay, Myintmu, Monywa, Butalin, Depayin. During the tour, party signboards were put up at one State office and 12 Township offices and were able to form 9 Township youth organizations. While they were travelling on the road from one town to another, USDA member with posters shouted slogans and opposed them. On 16-5.03 when they were entering Myitkyina Township, about 300 people carrying 2"x 1" clubs, catapults and short choppers surrounded the motorcade of Daw Aung San Suu kyi and her colleagues with hostility. The USDA had interrupted Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and caused her trouble throughout her journey in many ways. On 30-5-03 about 7:30 PM at a place two miles from Depayin a little further from Kyi village intersection at Phayarpyet village, a group of ruffians led by the authorities made a violent attach on her motorcade. The incident had been systematically premeditated by the authorities and carried out by their minions the USDA thugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment